The Official Website of Margate Football Club
Facebook icon LinekdIn icon Twitter icon Instagram icon YouTube icon Mailing list icon

Next fixture

Margate vs Kingstonian

Saturday 16 December @ 3:00 PM
Isthmian League Premier Division

Margate FC Kingstonian

Latest result

Margate vs Carshalton Athletic

Saturday 09 December @ 3:00 PM
Isthmian League Premier Division

Margate FC 0 - 1 Carshalton Athletic

League table

15 Folkestone Invicta 1719
16 Cheshunt 1719
17 Margate 1919
18 Cray Wanderers 1618
19 Potters Bar Town 1718
Home / News / MATCH REPORT / Blues Denied Second Win In Three Days

Blues Denied Second Win In Three Days

Blues Denied Second Win In Three Days

By David Hansen

Tuesday evening saw Margate draw against Haringey Borough after a last-minute equaliser for the visitors rescued a point at Hartsdown Park ending the game 1-1.

Margate came into the game on the back of an impressive 2-0 win against Lewes on Saturday and would be looking to get back-to-back league victories at Hartsdown Park, while Haringey came into this one after a draw against Dulwich Hamlet at home.

The first 15 minutes of the game were cagey, with neither team really settling into any kind of rhythm with the only real attack fell when full-back Harrison Hatfull whipped a cross into the area but was well defended by Haringey.

The first real chance would fall for the ‘Gate on the 15th minute as Ben Greenhalgh would find the head of captain Sam Blackman who was free in the area, but his header could only find the arms of Haringey goalkeeper Dillon Barnes.

Haringey would begin to put pressure on the Margate backline but ultimately would be unable to get a goal thanks to some brilliant saves from keeper Harry Seaden to deny Haringey and keep the score at 0-0.

It would be the hosts creating the last chance of the half as a Greenhalgh free kick from the left was met by the head of the returning Steve Cawley, but he could only direct the ball over the goal to again keep the score at 0-0 with the half coming to an end.

Whatever was said at half-time must of worked as Margate would take the lead in the 48th minute when a cross wasn’t dealt with and would find defender Harry Hudson at the back post for him to slot home from around ten yards making it 1-0 to the joy of the Margate fans.

With Haringey now trailing it would be them who put the pressure on and could have scored if it wasn’t for a fantastic block by Lewis Knight to deny the visitors an equaliser, brave defending in the cold conditions.

Unfortunately for Margate Archie Johnson picked up his 5th Yellow card of the season after the referee had judged him for wasting time, meaning now Johnson will have to serve a suspension on Tuesday night when the ‘Gate travel to Whitehawk in the Velocity Trophy. .

The board would go up indicating five added minutes with Margate looking to see it out now. However, Margate had the chance to clinch victory when Blackman took a long ball down and passed across to Greenhalgh who’s shot was low but too close to Barnes who got a foot to the ball to deny the ‘Gate a 2nd of the evening.

With only a couple of minutes remaining Haringey would be reduced to ten men when Alfred Bawling kicked a ball in the face of Ben Greenhalgh leaving the referee no chance but to give him his marching orders.

Unfortunately, it would be heartbreak for Margate when Jorge Djassi-Sambu was left unmarked in the area and was able to calmly pass the ball past Seaden with the last kick of the game to earn Haringey a point.

The ‘Gate will be looking to move on from this game as they look forward to a trip to London on Saturday when they take on Dulwich Hamlet in the Isthmian Premier League at Champion Hill.


Seaden, Hatfull (Rutherford 76’), Johnson, Poku, Sterling, Hudson, Gordon (Box 71’), Blackman ©, Cawley, Greenhalgh, Knight.

Unused sub(s):

Roberts, Bowman, Mazzone


Harry Hudson



Tuesday, 07 November 2023
By MFC Media

More news