The Official Website of Margate Football Club
Facebook icon LinekdIn icon Twitter icon Instagram icon YouTube icon Mailing list icon

Next fixture

Tonbridge Angels vs Margate

Saturday 20 July @ 3:00 PM

Tonbridge Angels Margate FC

Latest result

Margate vs Concord Rangers

Saturday 13 July @ 3:00 PM

Margate FC 4 - 1 Concord Rangers

League table

17 Cray Wanderers 4250
18 Cheshunt 4243
19 Margate 4239
20 Haringey Borough 4227
21 Concord Rangers 4226
Home / News / MATCH REPORT / Women Power Past Current Cup Holders

Women Power Past Current Cup Holders

Women Power Past Current Cup Holders

By David Hansen

Margate booked their place in the next round of the SECWFL League Cup after beating visitors Tunbridge Wells Foresters 3-1 at Hartsdown Park in both sunny and cold conditions.

Margate came into the game without a known goalkeeper as Jasmine Wood was still recovering from a concussion meaning Lily Kemp stepped in between the sticks for the 1st half and Abigail Greetham for the 2nd half.

The hosts had the better of the action early but were unable to really create any clear-cut chances and were restricted to long shots and crosses which Tunbridge Wells Foresters did very well to deal with which frustrated the ‘Gate.

We must mention the stand in keeper of Lily Kemp for the 1st half as she volunteered herself in goal and looked at home as she claimed a few low crosses from out wide well and her distribution was very good as well, not bad for a centre back.

The first real chance of the game came in the 24th minute as a ball that was sprayed out towards winger Rebecca Niblett was crossed well but evaded everyone in the area, with Tunbridge Wells Foresters able to clear the danger at the far corner.

Ultimately the building pressure got to the visitors as Margate took the lead through their number nine, as Harri Chapman initially had her shot saved but the keeper couldn’t hold the ball and striker Paige Godden was able to poke her shot past the keeper to make it 1-0 with a deserved goal from all their pressure.

The ‘Gate made an early change as Abbey Luby replaced JJ Speller on the wing and she had an immediate impact as she was able to sprint down the line and pick Godden out, but her header lacked power and was easy to claim by the keeper, but Margate were knocking on the Tunbridge Wells Foresters door again.

This would be the last action of the 1st half and Margate would take their lead into the break and be happy with their work, the visitors would need to come out and show something to get back in the tie.

Margate would begin the 2nd half well as substitute Esme Kew-Stroud found some space out wide and drove towards the area and hit her shot just wide of the far post. The hosts looking to try and put this game beyond the reigning League Cup Champions.

Kew-Stroud would have another chance shortly after her first as Luby picked her out around ten yards from goal and on the volley could only fire the ball over, Kew-Stroud with the bit between her teeth in the early minutes of the 2nd half.

After the two chances for Kew-Stroud. Tunbridge Wells Foresters started to turn the screw and put the pressure back on the ‘Gate which resulted in the equaliser, as a corner was headed into the back of the net by Margate defender Fleur Charman to give the visitors their place back in the match.

The goal from Tunbridge Wells Foresters didn’t seem to have an impact on Margate as they retook the lead only five minutes later as Luby swivelled well in the box and struck a low shot into the far corner to restore the lead for the ‘gate, showing the great mentality in the squad to recover from conceding just moments earlier.

One of the best moments of the match came with ten minutes from time as midfielder turned goalkeeper for the 2nd half Abigail Greetham got down well to save a powerful effort form Tunbridge Wells Foresters and maintain the ‘Gate lead.

Moments later Greetham would be involved again as Margate settled the tie, with Greetham smashing a drop-kick from inside her own box found Godden in behind and she was able to take the ball towards the 6-yard box and slot home to finish the tie and give Margate their 3rd and give goalkeeper Greetham an assist from her own box.

After five added minutes the referee blew his whistle and condemn the visitors to a loss and give Margate their place in the next round.

Another massive shootout to the two players who volunteered to save the day by going in goal and having a fantastic performance to go along with it.

Margate Women return to action on the 12th of November as they take on Sevenoaks Town in the SECWFL at hartsdown Park.


Kemp, Charman, Coltham-Lai, Duff (Nightingale 45’), Slevin © (Hyde 60’), Greetham, Barton, Chapman, Speller (Luby 36’), Godden (Kew-Stroud 45’), Niblett (Harrington 88’)


Luby, Kew-Stroud, Harrington, Hyde, Nightingale


Godden x2

Luby x1

Sunday, 05 November 2023
By MFC Media

More news